Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Spreading My Wings

I'm very excited to reveal that on Monday, December 13th, I'll be starting a new job at Twitter. I'll be a software engineer on the Storage team, helping build large-scale, durable systems to store the large amounts of data Twitter handles daily.

When I resigned from Google, back in May, my plan was to work on various projects of my own, including a travel-related website (http://www.skyjinks.com) and, most importantly, a screenplay. But after a few months of self-employment I realized that I missed working with great people. I also noticed that having a lot of time to devote to these projects was not helping me get them done any faster. In fact my productivity took a sharp nosedive. Since only a fool would stick to a plan that isn't working, I decided to change tack and apply for a job. And I'm particularly happy that this job is at Twitter.



Being around great people was one of my main criteria in deciding where I wanted to apply. And I've always had high regard for Twitter on this count. I know many Twitter employees from my past life, and every single one of them is someone I like, respect and would love to work with again. And the people I've newly met there during the recruiting process have been just as impressive. The flock, as Twitter employees are collectively known, are friendly, talented and motivated. I can't wait to start working with them.

What, you ask, of my other projects? Well, that's what nights and weekends are for. The screenplay, in particular, will still receive significant attention. It has to - I have to deliver it to the producer sooner or later. But, as Lucille Ball once said, "If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it." And it turns out that I'm happiest when I'm busy.

So put me to work, Twitter!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but I really enjoyed reading what you wroe! Good luck on your screenplay! Remember your deadlines, if that helps! I always thought I'd write moe if I had time, but now that cancer left me disabled, I sometimes don't even write in my daily journal! Shame on me! Keep writing and working with those you love!